3 Easy Steps to Growing Plants from Seed
Article by: Fran Barnwell
Growing your own plants , Water Lilies - Pruning and Trimming from seed , Container Gardening: Urban Alternative for Plant Lovers can be one of the most
exciting and worthwhile gardening , Caring for Your Garden Furniture activities. And of course
it is a really inexpensive way to grow , Themes of Shade the number of plants , Backpack Blowers
you need for your garden , Mow A Better Lawn, The Easy Way or containers.
In this article I am going to deal with growing seeds , Mow A Better Lawn, The Easy Way from
packets purchased at a garden , ing Supplies centre - as this is the
easiest way to start. These packets will have a picture on
the front and growing , Want to Build a Pond? instructions on the reverse, including
germination times and the best time of year to sow. The
instructions are important so do keep the packet safe , Everything You need to Know to Set up Your Square Foot Garden even
if you have used all the seeds! , Funniest Pond Stories-Part 1, May 2004
1. Equipment you need:
- Clean pots , Flowering Cherries or seed , Butterfly House in the Flower Garden trays, with drainage holes and not too
- Seed compost , A Quick Guide To Fish Pond Bridges or multi-purpose compost , Grass Varieties is just as effective
- Clear plastic , Mow A Better Lawn, The Easy Way bags or cling film or propagator
- Vermiculite - can be used to give the seeds , Teak Garden Furniture a light
covering instead of compost
- Dibber or pencil and widger or teaspoon
- Small watering can with fine rose
- Plant , Keeping Houses Alive During Summer Vacation Droughts labels - white , Super Foods from Home Vegetable Gardens plastic ones are cheap
2. Sowing the seed:
- Fill your pots , The Great History of Roses or seed , Using Push Reel Mowers trays with the compost , Container Gardening: Urban Alternative for Plant Lovers to about
1 cm below the rim and water , Mow A Better Lawn, The Easy Way the compost , Grass Varieties well
- For small seeds, , Gardening Supplies tip , Super Foods from Home Vegetable Gardens them into the palm , Reblooming Poinsettia of your hand and
then lightly tap it with your other hand to sprinkle the
seeds , Caring for Bonsai plants thinly on to the compost
- For large seeds, , Transplanting Deciduous Shrubs push the seed , Flowering Cherries into the compost , Want to Build a Pond? until it
is just covered by its own depth of compost
- Cover the seeds , Grass Varieties thinly with a little compost , Tulip Delivery - do not
cover very fine seeds
- Seal the pots , Caring for Bonsai plants or trays inside , Adirondack Chairs - How to Choose One a large loose plastic , Tulip Delivery bag
or propagator, or cover with cling film
- Place , Keeping Houseplants Alive During Summer Vacation Droughts them in a warm, light , Butterfly House in the Flower Garden place - on a windowsill but
out of direct sunlight
- Water , Garden Benches - What They Are gently if the compost , Getting Rid of Standing Water in Your Yard starts to dry out
3. Germination and pricking out:
When the seeds , Transplanting Deciduous Shrubs start to germinate, the first thing you will
see growing , The Great History of Roses are the seed , Buying Teak Wood Furniture Responsibly leaves - two small round leaves
that look very much the same on all plants. , Flowering Cherries Then the first
pair of true leaves appear and you can recognise that these
tiny leaves are like those on the mature plant. , A Quick Guide To Fish Pond Bridges This is the
time to move the seedlings into new pots. , Aluminum Sling Patio Furniture. Comfortable Seating for Outdoor Settings
- Fill clean 9 cms pots , Make The Most From Your Vegetable Garden or seed , Pictures Of Landscaping - Using Other Peoples Ideas To Design Your Landscape trays with fresh compost , Super Foods from Home Vegetable Gardens
and water , Everything You need to Know to Set up Your Square Foot Garden well
- Gently loosen each seedling from its pot/tray with a
widger or the handle of a teaspoon, holding the seedling by
its seed , Getting Rid of Garden Pests with Less Chemicals leaf
- Make a hole in the new compost , Gardening Supplies with a dibber or pencil and
gently lower the seedling into the hole, making sure that
all the roots , Flowering Cherries are tucked into the hole and the seed , Transplanting Deciduous Shrubs leaves
are just above the surface
- Carefully fill the hole to cover the roots
- You can space the seedlings in a seed , Caring for Bonsai plants tray about 3-4 cms
apart; otherwise plant , Aluminum Sling Patio Furniture. Comfortable Seating for Outdoor Settings them individually into pots
- Water , Buying Teak Wood Furniture Responsibly carefully, either by soaking the pot , Tulips or tray, or
using a small watering can with a fine rose
- Place , Grass Varieties in bright light, , How To Design And Build A Fish Pond but not direct sunlight, and check
- Keep watered, but not too wet
- Once the roots , Getting Rid of Garden Pests with Less Chemicals fill the pots , Small Garden Design - Creating Illusions Of More Space or trays, then it is time to
plant , Tulip Bulbs - Fall is the Time to Prepare the Perfect Spring Flower Garden them either into your containers in the garden , Caring for Your Furniture or
into the garden , Palm Tree Care border.
It's not as complicated as you might think, but it does
require a little thought and care - the equipment must be
clean to prevent disease , Reblooming Poinsettia or infection; don't over-water;
provide enough light; handle gently; and check regularly.
And that's all there is to it!Fran Barnwell is a self-taught gardener, learning through experience in her own garden. , Patio Heaters: A Way To A Comfortable Outdoor Gatherings Fran understands the difficulties that face new gardeners, and has written The Ultimate Guide to Gardening , Super Foods from Home Vegetable Gardens for Beginners, a successful eBook that helps anyone new to gardening , 'Northern Encore' Tree Rose to get started, explaining the basics in easy to understand terms. To find out more and to sign up to receive a free series of articles, go to http://www.NewToGardening.com
|Bottle Gardening or Terrarium - Design and Maintenance - Women take pride in home , How to Create a Zen Garden decoration and gardening , Finding the Best Pond Pumps and want some unique and prized possessions that are not part of the neighboring dwellings. Gardening , Patio Furniture - Coordinating Cushions, Chairs, And Canopies offers opening as there is no end to creativity, especially in the fields of flower , Water Lilies - Pruning and Trimming arrangement...
|The Old Faithful - Case Tractors - Sub-compact Tractor , Tea’s Important Role in Reducing Disease – Case TractorsCase tractors , US Flag History cater to the needs of homeowners, small contractors, , Tea’s Important Role in Reducing Disease golf course owner, horse stable owners, farmers, landscape , The Uses of Compost! artists, and contractors. , CO2 for 'Free' The sub compact range is just right for these...
|The Garden Statue - -Stone, Metal, Or Gnome? - Enhance Your Yard , 7 Tips for Creating Fresh Hydrangea Bouquets Or Flower , Abatement and Congregation of Material Bed There are several types of garden , Solar Lights statue available that will enhance your yard , Discover the Single Most Important Trick to Overwintering Pond Fish or flower , Teak Adirondack Chairs bed with a tastefully decorative touch. You can choose from several different sizes, shapes, materials for your...
|Vegetable Garden Ideas - The first year I lived in a "real house" I was excited to get a garden , Tomatoes: History, Origin, Facts... or Fiction? started. I just couldn't wait until spring , Wild Flowers when I could plant , Vacation Proofing your Garden all kinds of veggies. While this seems like a good idea, it really wasn't. Being a new gardner, I let my excitemen...
|Grow Some Interesting Plants You Won't Find At Your Local Greenhouse - Do you scour your seed , Problems With Peonies? catalogs or look at all the new varieties that have come out in your gardening , Flower Bulbs: Nature's Greatest Gift magazines? You can’t wait to go to your local , To Repot - or Not! greenhouse and purchase them for your garden , ing - An Expression or flower , Cannibals on the Porch bed. But when you get there, you find they d...
|Fertilizing to Create More Blossoms on Your Flowers, Flowering Shrubs, and Trees - The secret to making your flowering trees, , Gardening Sentiments shrubs, , Dwarf Korean Lilac annuals, , Step by Step Pruning for New Gardeners - Part I and perennials , Gardening Sentiments bloom more is in the numbers. All fertilizers have analysis numbers on the package. These numbers represent the percentage of each chemical the fertilizer contains.F...
|Porch Swing Places: Where to Put a Porch Swing - So you've purchased a Porch , Some Thoughts On Planting Roses Swing (or are about to) and you plan , The Advantages of Silk Flowers to hang it on the Porch? Not so fast!Where you install your Porch , Unusual Daffodil Stories Swing is as much a function of the need you are trying to satisfy as tradition and practicality. If nostalgia...
|6 Factors that Directly Decide the Landscaping Design of a Home Garden - Growing beautiful garden , Dandelion: Miracle Gift from Mother Earth is more than planting trees , Why Patio Benches are a Great Place to Relax and Enjoy all over and then calling it a garden. , Do It Yourself Landscaping A landscaped garden , Want Curb Appeal - Play Dress-up has a life of its own. But depending upon what YOU want it to be the final shape and form of the garden , Landscaping Your Patio will drastically change. , The Flower Drying Game - Part 2: Sand or Glycerin? Let's...
|Wedding Flowers - A wedding is the most intimate and yet most public of events in a lifetime. Around the world, customs and traditions decide the colors, , Strawbale Construction Wins Hands Down kind of flowers , Mustard: The Greatest Among The Herbs and manner of floral decoration used for the ceremony. Traditional ceremonies use flowers , Artificial Trees Advantages in co...
mygarden.net.au | | | | | | | | | | |